Monday, September 6, 2021

'Twas the Night Before the Meet & Greet

Tomorrow morning is our school's Meet and Greet followed by the New Family Orientation. Our first day of school is on Wednesday. This puts us among the very latest schools in the country to start. I haven't heard about schools in other parts of the nation shutting down to COVID so that's encouraging. Of course, my husband jokes that's because I haven't been watching the news recently. I hope he's joking.

As expected last week was extraordinarily busy. I've been putting the finishing touches on my classroom: scrubbing desks, laminating and affixing nametags, putting down floor tape, and making slide presentations for Back to School, First Day of School, and Curriculum Night. I've created worksheets to hand out in place of the digital assignments we used last year and located some other documents I used to use on the first day of school when I taught fifth grade.

I did take a bit of time off this weekend. My family attended PAX West on Saturday. It was lackluster this year, with many fewer exhibits than previous years and very few vendors. Interestingly there was a lot of food for sell in the convention center, whereas in previous years I can only think of two places inside the convention that sold food, and their lines used to be crazy long. It wasn't exactly possible to maintain the current recommended three feet of distance inside. But it wasn't so crowded that we were uncomfortable being there. It was great to get out and do what we do as a family again. But we would not have been ready for the wall to wall people that used to attend PAX.

I am ready for tomorrow and only have two items on my list for Wednesday not quite complete. Students will come tomorrow to drop off their school supplies and see the classroom. We're going to have our Back to School and Curriculum nights virtually, so this is also the parents' opportunity to see the classroom.

The start of a new school year is an exciting time. I'm energized and looking forward to working with my new partner. Hopefully I'll be able to relax enough to get some sleep between now and the first day of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment