Thursday, September 16, 2021

First Full Week

 All of my students attended school on Monday and Tuesday this week - so far the only days I've had everyone. I had one student quarantining after a trip during the first week of school. Another one left on Wednesday for Hawaii. I took the opportunity with all of them in attendance to snap pictures for my Wonder Wall. I'm really pleased with the "thinking faces" the students put on for the camera. Students will use sticky notes to put questions in their thought bubbles related to our unit of inquiry throughout the school year.


During the two days I had everyone in attendance, I also had them finalize our Essential Agreements and sign them. The only one they seem to struggle with is "Follow all COVID protocols." I have students who have their fingers underneath their masks consistently throughout the day. When I see it, I have them use hand sanitizer, but I'm sure I don't see it every time. They also bunch up walking to and from the playground, but mostly when we're outside because inside the floor tiles are one foot by one foot, and they are good about counting squares to stay separated.

This week contained what I really hope was the longest day of my school year. On Tuesday school dismisses early for staff meetings. The staff meeting was held in my classroom, and though it was short by my principal's standards, it ended fifteen minutes before a two hour Archdiocesan level Zoom meeting where I ran three breakout rooms. I had time after that to heat and eat a can of soup in my classroom and throw together a slideshow for my lessons on Wednesday. Then I had another hour long Zoom for Curriculum Night.

On that same day I had this conversation with a student:

Student: Mrs. Conrow, when did you get a perm?

Me: Uh... never.

Student: Then why is your hair so curly?

Me: Because it's crazy like me!

It was a good day, but so very long. All in all I have had a great start to the school year and am really enjoying building relationships with my students. They are already comfortable enough with me to write responses on worksheets like this:


I know what I do matters in the lives of kids. I had a former student send me a letter in the mail this summer. (I knew I was leaving the school so I sent my thank you cards for end of the year gifts with my home return address.) It arrived on the day before my birthday. She wrote about being bored and begged me to write back, asking lots of questions so she could have something to do. I sat down and wrote her back, first thing the morning of my birthday and couldn't stop grinning for two days because she reached out to say hello. Since then we've exchanged a few more letters and each one I receive brings me joy. I wonder how much longer she'll be interested in writing to me.

A couple of weeks ago I had a parent of a former student reach out to me, asking me to write a letter her daughter who is going on a retreat in the near future. The letters were framed as "love letters" from people who have influenced the students. I taught the student fifth grade at least five years ago, and the family moved out of state shortly after that. I feel very honored to be considered someone who has influenced this accomplished young woman.

The other morning when I was getting my bags out of my car (the purple one) in front of school, a large and loud pick up truck stopped beside me. Two teenaged boys were in the car, former students. They were both grinning from ear to ear, and shouted hellos at me before continuing on their way.

I continually tell my current students that I'm a crazy old lady. As I have left schools I have accepted social media friend requests from parents of students. This gives me brief snapshots of the growth of their kids. Catching glimpses into the current lives of people I vividly remember as little, solidifies my sense of being an old teacher. Many former students of mine are starting careers, getting married, raising kids. It's very satisfying to know that at least a few of them remember and are glad that I had a small part in their journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment