Friday, February 3, 2023

Catholic Schools Week Part 2

 Catholic Schools Week can range from an acknowledgement on Sunday during mass followed by a poorly advertised and therefore poorly attended open house, to a week full of activities planned well in advance with a distinct vibe throughout the building all week long. As a 23-year veteran on staff at four different Catholic schools I have seen both extremes. My current school goes all in. In my post on Tuesday night, I wrote about Sunday mass followed by a well-attended open house, parent and teacher appreciation days and previewed grandparents and grandfriends day.

Grandparents day was heartwarming (seriously, click on the link to see for yourself) even though I literally didn't teach at all. After attendance my students and I headed down to the auditorium to receive instructions about "serving" at the grandparent brunch. Really, the eighth graders were the flaggers - being the liaison between the grandparents at their table and the adults in the room who would bring whatever the table requested. Then we all headed to the church where 85% of the eighth graders practiced songs for the mass, and the remaining students were given instructions just in time to begin greeting and seating the grandparents. At times it was like herding cats to remind the student greeters and seaters of what to do, but it was amazing to see typically shy students asking grandparents to scoot in to make room for others and hand out parish registration cards to the visitors.

I did not get to see any of the performances during the brunch, but the grandparents who visited my classroom with their grandchildren afterwards were extremely moved by the entire experience. At least three grandmothers told me they were moved near to tears upon seeing the tables set for brunch and/or the student performances all in their honor. Every visitor I spoke with on Wednesday could not say enough good things about our school. 

Thursday was a normal day with cards student made last week being sent to donors and alumni, but today was student appreciation day. Staff were encouraged to dress up as students - as students had been encouraged to dress up as staff on Tuesday. Middle school students also got to bring their school supplies in "anything but a backpack" today.



We also had a BMX "Spokes of Hope" assembly during which a stunt bicyclist jumped over me and two of his co-workers on his bike. I don't know that anyone got a photo, but it was fun to be an assembly participant - especially in an assembly that was engaging for students aged 3-14. Students and teachers alike asked me if I was scared. Not at all - I was between two of the Stunt Masters and was 100% aware they would not put a volunteer in danger. Still, I wish someone had snapped a picture.


My principal called for a happy hour after school today, and it was much deserved. Although it was a fun-filled week with most of the behind-the-scenes efforts falling on the shoulders of the front office staff, it was a LONG week for all of us. It is FUN to be a part of a school where Catholic Schools Week is a big deal... but I'm still looking forward to a much quieter week next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment