Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Famous Former Students

This summer I heard that a former fifth grader of mine was going to be on this season of The Voice. I was telling my current coworkers about this as we got our nails done a couple of weeks ago. They told me that another former student of mine (but not theirs - a factor of boomeranging back to my current school) was on Netflix's Hype House. I showed my age by asking, "What's Hype House." Hype House is not for me. I'm clearly not their demographic. It was very disconcerting to see a former student of mine on that show. I couldn't watch more than one episode. My husband thought his name was a stage name. But no, his last name really was Hacker in our school information system when he was 12 years old.

I have never watched The Voice before, but I had at least heard of it. I have been watching this season, after I heard Jaeden was going to be on the show. His blind audition was on the last night of auditions, and he was the second to last person to be chosen for a team. If his audition had been earlier in the selection process, he clearly would have had all four chairs turn, but two of the coaches had filled their teams before he auditioned. It was crazy and fun to see Jaeden, his sister, and their mom on TV.

I became aware of Jaeden the year his older sister was in my fifth-grade class. Jaeden is at least two, if not three, years younger than her, and I didn't know who he was until the end of the school year. The two of them opened up the annual school talent show, on the second to last day of the school year, by praying the rosary. Jaeden could *not* stand still as he prayed. His little hips were swinging back and forth, and he was working hard to keep his feet still. It was adorably distracting during the prayer. Later, as he took to the piano during the talent show, I was instantly aware of his talent with music. I'm not sure if he also sang during that first talent show in my memory, but he definitely did in later years. I vividly recall him singing and playing the guitar, showcasing a song he wrote for his mother, the year he was in my fifth-grade class.

Jaeden has shown talent and passion for music from a young age. I vaguely remember hearing he auditioned for America's Got Talent at one point but I never got to see that audition. Last night it was amazing to see how far he's come since he was that cutie little boy praying the rosary with his big sister. I can't wait to see how he does on The Voice and beyond.

Click here to see Jaeden's blind audition.

No comments:

Post a Comment