Sunday, May 8, 2022

Teacher Appreciation

Last week was Teacher Appreciation Week. Lots of Facebook posts last week asked teachers about favorite presents we have ever received. I've gotten some great gifts over the years. My standard response to that question is a handwritten card from the students and/or their parents with genuine, specific thanks is always the best gift. However, anything that shows my students and their families have paid enough attention to know a little bit about me personally makes me smile. For example, the times I received a baggie full of butterscotch candies and a brown sack full of Twix made me smile and stuck with me.

But this year I received the best gift ever. It came wrapped in butterfly wrapping paper that matched the skirt I was wearing the day it came into the classroom. And it included a handwritten card from the parents and a drawing from the student. The parental note thanked me for being their child's teacher this year and told me their fourth grader selected "every last detail."

She nailed it! Zoom in - there's even purple in the hair.


I knew this parent created personalized cross stiches. I've seen them in the principal's office and in classrooms of teachers of younger grades. But getting my very own, and to have it exactly match an outfit I've worn often in damp weather, still has me smiling several days later.

Of course, today is also Mother's Day. My oldest decided I need "more Wonder Woman stuff." So it's been a pretty amazing week of gift receiving. I definitely feel appreciated.




No comments:

Post a Comment