Friday, August 17, 2018

New School, New Room, New Grade Level

I signed a contract in June for a new school, teaching Humanities to middle schoolers. (Oh the humanity!) - I'm only slightly embarrassed at how often I've thought those words since signing... 

I took the WEST-E (test required for getting a new endorsement added to a teaching certificate) mid-level humanities sub test 1 on Monday. It was the ELA test, and it was easy for me. Now I just need to register for sub test 2 and study for the social studies test, which I expect will be harder for me. 

When I started out in the 2000-2001 school year, I was a third grade teacher, and, no joke, the fifth graders made me nervous in the hallway. My second teaching job, after taking two years off when my second son was born, was teaching fifth graders. Once my initial shock and extreme anxiety wore off, I fell in love with the job and knew 10-11 year olds were in the sweet spot, the mushy middle of the K-8 system: not primary students, but not middle school students. However, I also knew fifth grade homeroom was my upper limit, and I would *never* become a middle school teacher. After all, I had a sixth grade history class at that school, and as much as I loved seeing the same kids two years in a row, and as much as I loved the subject matter (Ancient Civilizations), at the end of the year, I was happy to say goodbye to the sixth graders and send them on to seventh grade.

Then life happened. After a second fifth grade gig at a third school, I left to "stay home." That lasted half a school year... I ended up subbing in middle school <gasp> ELA from February to June. And I discovered I was GOOD at it. And I LOVED it. WHAT?? Well, I do live with teenagers now. I have more understanding of the age group, more street cred with them, and a whole lot more sympathy for what life must be like for them.

So here I am, signed on to teach sixth grade homeroom, religion, and ELA and eighth grade ELA and history. At a new school. I'm both super excited and getting more and more nervous as summer comes to a close. My class load is very similar to what I taught, very successfully, on the fly, as a fill in, just-a-sub for half the school year last year. Instead of seventh grade ELA I have eighth grade social studies. But both fifth and eighth grade social studies is U.S. History, so I know the material well, and already have several well-vetted units and projects that can be easily adapted for an older audience - particularly an audience who has never seen the units or projects in question.




August got busy on me. My sixteen year old is in driver's ed in the middle of the day, four days a week. My thirteen year old signed up for one week of day camp, in the middle of August. My parents came to visit. I'm taking one more trip, a long weekend with a friend who would not otherwise get a vacation at all this summer. I have an extra day of in-service on the calendar since I'm new to the building. It's my birthday next week. My husband is going to a national conference related to his career next week, where he will present information and be on a panel (and yes, be across the country on my birthday).

Even with this busy agenda, I've managed to get into my new classroom for two hours at a time several days this month. With the help of my husband and kids, the furniture has been moved. The facilities guys painted over the wall that got exposed with the furniture re-arrangement and cleaned the years of accumulated muck off the floor that suddenly became visible.  They even shored up an unstable support on my desk.  I made friends with them: thanking them profusely and apologizing for creating extra work in August while chit-chatting about the schools I've worked at prior to landing here.  I believe I will continue to have their quick and friendly support when I need it from here on out.





I've spent a lot of time on ELA and social studies teacher groups on Facebook this summer, and started my classroom set up with room decorations. I thought I might bring in a large Wonder Woman poster that has come into my possession, but fell in love with many Dumbledore quotes to adorn my walls.  Alas, Wonder Woman doesn't quite fit in with a Harry Potter theme. I copied a positive affirmation idea from another teacher on one of the Facebook pages. I can't wait to pull the whole room together, and am loving what I have up already.




I'm spending time getting to know the front office staff, the facilities staff, and the IT/security guy.  I've seen the principal (who is also new to the building) in passing more than many of the other teachers who have been in the building for years. 

I've gotten enough room set up done that I can comfortably take a week off to visit with my parents, celebrate my birthday, and take a trip with my friend. Part of me wishes there was nothing on my calendar except room set up and rough curriculum mapping for the remainder of the month. But the truth is, even if I couldn't touch the space again until days before school starts, I'd be ready for the kids on day one. This week off will be good for me. I know what I'm doing. I'm a good teacher. I will help kids reach their potential.


 And gosh darn it, people like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment