Saturday, May 26, 2018

Not My Circus?

I've been having a hard time finding time to write these past several weeks. Spring is a busy time of year for teachers. Arguably the busiest time of year. Besides all the usual report card time things to do, with the added detail that all units need to be wrapped up with a neat little bow - rather than just allowing some units to span two grading terms, we have end of the year student activities added to the mix. We've already had the eighth grade play, end of the year standardized testing, the fifth grade state presentations, and the annual school carnival. Still to come are the annual patrol field trip, the eighth grade dinner dance, eighth, grade graduation and baccalaureate mass, field day, and the variety show. There's the whole classroom cleanout thing too, but as a long-term sub, I have exactly five personal items in the classroom (and some cool pens that I brought in) that I will feel responsible for packing up and taking with me on the last day. 


One of the five personal items.


A surprise attack of compliments
from the extension kids one evening.
I love it, but it also makes me sad.














The whole part about being "just a sub" after spending half of the school year in the role is awkward, even more so as the school year closes out. The building is abuzz with plans for next year, conversations about new policies and grand expectations are everywhere.  I don't fit into all that, and it feels weird. My opinion, as a veteran teacher who used to work in the building, has been solicited many times, and I participate openly in all of these conversations... but somewhere in the back of my head I can't help but think to myself, "This is not my circus." I don't want to feel a vested interest in what comes next year for the school because I don't know that I'll be working there. If I start to care too much, It'll make it that much harder to leave at the end of the year.





I'm trying to keep the students engaged as we close out the school year. I am doing all of my regular end of the year reflective activities, which turns out to be a lot of letter writing. I'm taking advantage of the weather when I can, and holding lessons outside when possible. I'm planning collaborative activities, and thinking up ways to make lessons hands on.

Vocabulary Concentration
Reading outside

Collaboration

I also took an active roll in the carnival fun this year, volunteering for the "dunk tank." The school apparently had an actual dunk tank for a few years, but historically, and again this year, there is a person standing at the top of the outside stairs with a garbage can full of water and a bucket. When the target is hit, and often even when it's not, the bucket is dumped out, onto those below. 





The carnival is a lot of fun, and a great community building event for the school. For the next few weeks at least, I am a part of the community of this school.



No comments:

Post a Comment