Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Science Weekend



I spent last weekend at the regional NSTA conference in Portland, Oregon. It was a little strange to be in the area and not visiting family, but there was very little time for anything other than stuffing my head full of educator science lingo and playing with scientific concepts before rushing home again. I didn't get a three day weekend, but that meant I only had to write sub plans for one day, which I count as a net benefit of the timing of the conference. Staying in a hotel in the thick of some of the most violent protests over the election, not so much. After spending all day learning, I needed sleep much more than I needed to hear shots, bangs, skidding cars, and helicopters hovering.

The conference itself was my first professional development focused specifically on one subject. I feel like I finally started to wrap my brain around the Next Generation Science Standards and their three dimensions of Cross Cutting Concepts, Science and Engineering Practices, and Disciplinary Core Ideas - all of which got abbreviated more often than not for an alphabet soup that was nearly incomprehensible to me at the beginning of the conference. Thankfully the NGSS are new enough that I was not the only one feeling this way. By the end of the three days, I can safely say I still have a lot of learning left to do on the new standards, but I am excited about the way they seem to be lining up neatly with of the International Baccalaureate philosophy that I have been learning about over the past year. The NGSS best practices modeled for me at the NSTA conference correspond to the inquiry based, hands-on, student centered philosophy of the IB. 

Working with other science teachers to learn about these new ideas in mostly engaging and hands on activities was an amazing way to spend a weekend. I got to simulate the digestive system, making (a very sweet smelling) poop in one session and gaining a free trial to an online treasure trove of videos for science instruction. I played with center of balance and saw creations out of plasticized milk. I worked with others to engineer a dirigible to transport pennies across a fishing line. I created a colorful chemical reaction and learned how to use Microsoft and Google applications to engage students in modeling tasks.



Collaborating with the middle school science teacher in my building and meeting new colleagues (some with connections to former co-workers!) was the highlight of the trip. I learned a lot from a woman I ended up sitting next to during two different sessions, and I loved running into the new classroom neighbor of a teacher who used to work across the hall from me. Sharing a hotel room with the middle school science teacher in my building and getting to debrief with her in the evenings was invaluable. I feel more confident and competent in my abilities to teach science well after spending the weekend at NSTA.



No comments:

Post a Comment